Back to Independent.ie
Tuesday, 28 September 2021 | 11.9°C Dublin
Minister of State, Joe O'Brien TD.
September 28 2021 02:00 AM
A local Minister of State insists there has been no Government decision to defer construction of the MetroLink project.
Minister of State Joe O’Brien says there has been no Government decision to defer the MetroLink construction start date and says clarification was provided to him following reports to the contrary.
He said: “Metrolink is not an ordinary infrastructure project and it is very likely the largest ever public investment project in the history of the State. The scale of the project entails a significant amount of complexity in relation to the design, planning, and assessment processes”.
“The most recent information I have in relation to the project is that TII is due to lodge a Railway Order with An Bord Pleanála as soon as possible, with the planning process expected to take 12 to 18 months from that point. There remains an extensive body of work in relation to finalising the preliminary design, completing the required environmental impact assessment reports and closing out property referencing issues before the railway order application will be ready for submission to An Bord Pleanála. Aspects of this work were impacted by COVID-19 restrictions earlier in the year and I understand that it will likely be Q1 2022 before the Railway Order application will be ready, with submission to An Bord Pleanála expected shortly thereafter.”
“Once the planning process is completed TII have estimated that construction will take 6-8 years. The date is dependent on, amongst other things, Government approval of the Business Case and the publication of the National Development Plan 2040. They have advised me that they continue to make very good progress in developing the design and finalising the Environmental Impact Assessment Report and all the other documents which are required for their planning submission.”
Minister O’Brien also received news that a design team for DART+ coastal was appointed earlier this year and is working on the preliminary design which will then go to public consultation. Separate to this process is the DART+ fleet of battery electric trains which will be able to improve capacity on the Northern Commuter Line.
He concluded: "The exact date for construction to commence on the MetroLink project will depend on the granting of planning permission and government decision under the public spending code “
Read about the people and stories that get Dubliners talking with our free Friday newsletter.
This field is required